This competition is divided into 3 divisions.
Participants can choose either a solo or a four-handed performance.
One may select any piano piece written in what is commonly understood as a jazz style, including jazz compositions and jazz arrangements. The piece could be played by reading the score, but playing by heart is recommended and will be taken into consideration when judging. The constant may play one piece, or multiple pieces, given that the total playing time does not exceed what they have decided during the application process.
One may arrange a composer's piece or even compose an original piece at home and perform in front of the judges. The piece (arrangement or composition) needs to be kept in the style of jazz and be the contestant’s own work. The piece could be played by reading the score, but playing by heart is recommended and will be taken into consideration when judging. The constant may play one piece, or multiple pieces, given that the total playing time does not exceed what they have decided during the application process.
A lead sheet will be randomly chosen out of a prepared list of jazz standards and given to the contestant right before playing. A free spontaneous arrangement can be based on any chosen style (for example, swing, ballad, bossa nova, etc.), but must include jazz elements.
* When playing multiple pieces, the break between pieces would also be included in their total playing time.
* The timer will start after the contestant has sat down.
* If the contestants go over the allotted time, their performance will be cut off, but this will not affect their result. It is advisable to bring a watch to keep track of the time.
Age Groups & Fees
(ages 12 and under)
¥ 9,000 ~ 2 min.
¥ 10,000 ~ 3 min.
¥ 11,000 ~ 4 min.
¥ 12,000 ~ 5 min.
¥ 13,000 ~ 7 min.
¥ 15,000 ~ 10 min.
¥ 12,000 ~ 3 min.
¥ 13,000 ~ 4 min.
¥ 14,000 ~ 5 min.
¥ 15,000 ~ 7 min.
¥ 17,000 ~ 10 min.
¥ 20,000 ~ 15 min.
(ages 20 and above)
¥ 14,000 ~ 3 min.
¥ 15,000 ~ 4 min.
¥ 16,000 ~ 5 min.
¥ 17,000 ~ 7 min.
¥ 19,000 ~ 10 min.
¥ 22,000 ~ 15 min.
(age does not apply)
¥ 16,000 ~ 3 min.
¥ 17,000 ~ 4 min.
¥ 18,000 ~ 5 min.
¥ 19,000 ~ 7 min.
¥ 21,000 ~ 10 min.
¥ 24,000 ~ 15 min.
Please apply through this website and transfer the participation fee.
If the application number reaches the limit before the deadline, the notice will be posted on this website. We cannot respond to any inquiries regarding this matter.
* The application form can be found here
* Deadline: November 30th, 2020
* The participation fee is non-refundable
* In the event of natural disasters, like typhoons and earthquakes, or further outbreak of the corona virus, this competition may be cancelled and will be announced on this website. In such unavoidable cases, entry fees will be fully refunded to the participants.
* Bank account:
Mizuho Bank, Kyodo Branch
Account number: 3026049
Recipient: SOBKOWIAK PIANO ASSOCIATION
* A confirmation message will be sent once the complete application has been received. The committee will contact the participant with further information regarding their schedule.